[plug] Sendmail, etc

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 22 09:30:24 WST 1998

> From: John Summerfield <summer at os2.ami.com.au>
> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Paul Wilson wrote:
>

> > Not so! Since the main mail handling software for the entire Internet
is
> > sendmail, that's *extremely* unlikely. In fact, in the UK the entire
> > Linux/UNIX community uses Sendmail to get email from ISPs - anything
> else
> > is a rarity. The insistance of Fetchmail over here is something that I
> > still find bizarre.
> Alright smartypants.
>
> How does one configure sendmail to cope with delivering to dynamic IP
> addresses?

Doesn't really matter it seems. When I joined iinet, I had an ultimately
unsatisfying conversation with one of the techies who said that they (and
also other ISPs in Oz) *don't* support SMTP connections from subscribers!
They claim that the reason is the large-scale spamming via the ISPs mail
servers by varied and random Internet users. This argument  is junk.
European ISPs offer sendmail to subscribers and don't have spam problems,
so why do iinet et al? I find it difficult to believe that they're not
competant enough to secure their service.

BTW, the sendmail FAQ explains about dynamic addresses etc.

Paul