[plug] Cable/card for Sun monitor, Novell network terminals

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Jul 23 15:34:18 WST 1998

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Gary Allpike wrote:

> This plug is called a 13W3 connector.  Generally sun monitors are fixed
> frequency, and will not function with standard PC video cards.

Of course they will, you just got to tweak your XF86Config and TextConfig
files - specify the right modelines for your hardware.

eg:
ModeLine "1152x900" 89.946 1152 1160 1256 1456 900 900 907 936 -hsync -vsync
for my 20" Sun (Hitachi) Colour Monitor. which syncs to 66Hz OR 74Hz
vertical only, and between 60 and 62 kHz Horizontal)

It has 5 BNC plugs on the back - Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal and
Vertical Sync - I just got a patch cable made up that hooks these up to
the relevant pins on the standard VGA plug.  I've seen a diagram for 13W3
connectors on the 'net too, so you can make one up for your Sun monitor.

This is on a "standard" ET6000 vid card.
I've had this monitor run under win98 too, with a Matrox Millenium, which
also allows you to specify modelines.
TextConfig is the config file for svgatextmode so I can get this monitor
to work on the linux console.. The only thing I can't do with it is run
svgalib apps, because they ignore the modelines I've given it.. so no 20"
Quaking :(

The patch cable cost me $15 to get made up, and the monitor only $150, so
it's a cheap way to get a decent picture size.

 - Matt