[plug] new "corporate" linux...

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Fri Jul 24 14:04:23 WST 1998

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, David Buddrige wrote:
> just found about a flavour of linux aimed specifically at corporate
> customers with corporate style support...
> http://www.xig.com/media/980710pr.html

I suspect this will just be a fairly tame, lightly augmented, but very
static RedHat clone. I have a lot of respect for Xi, so I would love to
see them produce something that adds value and competition to the linux
marketplace. On the other hand, if they build closed source code any
further into the core of the windowing system, or god forbid, lower
levels, I think it would herald a disastrous fragmentation of the Linux
market - though I don't know how long Xi would be able to compete on that
basis. Sooner or later, they'd create Xinux, and compete against Solaris,
instead of Redhat.

Heh, stuff-the-lot-of-'em.
Debian 2.0 is out. Long live the king. We won't be seeing another major
change in core software for a long time to come, so from now on it's going
to be superlatively easy to ride the cutting edge on Debian.

-Greg Mildenhall