[plug] Ethernet

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 29 16:50:45 WST 1998

Kent Ian wrote:
> You should get some sort of spike arrestor. Thunder storms might like a 100m
> aerial. I have never been able to get an arrestor working myself, but have
> managed to take out a SparcStation2 with an 80m run.
[...]

That's a good point.

If it's an option, running optical fibre between buildings rather than
conductive metal wire is a good idea. The media converters (probably from
AUI to FIORL? 10BaseF? - so that you can run Ethernet over that fibre)
are probably expensive, not to mention the fibre itself. I've never
tried to buy any, myself.

There are probably voltage differences between "ground" at each end of
the run, too - don't ground the shield of any co-ax at more than one
point.

You can ignore these issues and it should work, but all bets are off if
you get something like a lightning strike.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal