[plug] Getting past init...

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Fri Jul 31 06:48:59 WST 1998

> Date:          Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:17:46 +0800
> To:            plug at linux.org.au
> From:          Matt Hutchinson <matt at odyssey.apana.org.au>
> Subject:       [plug] Getting past init...

> Hi,
>
> I'm using RedHat 5.1 and I just altered my inittab file, however the line I
> added was respawning tooo fast and when my machine boots up, it gets to the
> init stage - then says "RESPAWNING TOO FAST - WILL SHUT FOR 5 MINUTES"
>
> Hmmm...Then it just sits there and every 5 mins it says the same
> thing...and doesn't let me log in...

Reboot with an "S" as a boot option. The problem is one of the init
"respawn" commands is respawning more than 30 times in 5 minutes. Normally
it just nukes that item. Have you tried another virtual console?

eg: xdm which is sometimes respawned from init.

David Campbell

PS: HP was the company responsible for the "respawning to fast" feature,
it is meant to allow you to gain access.
campbell at torque.net

The feature freeze on Linux 2.1.x is starting to be
annoying. I say bring on Linux 2.3.x!!!