plug RedHat 5.1 CD burn in progress...

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Sat Jun 6 00:39:58 WST 1998

I had some problems this morning getting access to the burner, the HDD was
full. The IT crew decided to backup the Novell server to it.. (arrggg!!!)

After bribing Flo (the IT lady) with a couple of blank CD-R disks (she had
run out) I was able to test out the theory about the bad permissions.

After shutting down the machine into DOS mode (unfortunately Win95 is
standard around here - remind me to break out winnuke when I get bored
one day) I tried the following:

cd \dosutils
autoboot

The results were the same as previously (hangs after trying to mount
/proc). The next thing I did (after rebooting) was the following:

cd \image
\dosutils\rawrite
	boot.img	[Name of image file]
	a:		[Locatation of a formated floppy disk]

*shock horror*

After selecting upgrade (I had RH4.2 previously) the install scripts found
my installation, promptly ripped out the old files and installed RH5.1. A
quick redo of LILO (it changed the kernel so LILO needs to be performed -
don't skip if you previously had LILO installed) and then the system
rebooted.

After the usual selecting Linux at the LILO prompt, thirty seconds later I
was greeted with a logon prompt stating (quoting from memory):
Linux 2.0.34   RedHat 5.1 (Manhatan)
Login:

Wonders will never cease. You will have to excuse me, the "egg timer" has
just reminded me to change the discs over in the burner (only another 13
to go).

Oh well, it appears that RedHat may of broken something in the autoboot
method. This is not a great loss since most people the first time round
use the boot floppy technique.

Special thanks to David Buddridge who has offered to copy 5 of CD-ROMs, it
would otherwise be a very long weekend in the office.

David Campbell