plug How much RAM do u need to set up a samba server?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Jun 6 09:16:18 WST 1998

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, David Buddrige wrote:

> 	>  Is there any reason for using two separate machines?
>
> 	Basically to seperate the functionality - so that one
> (potentially) going down does not affect the other... given that we had

My web pages at www2.ami.com.au are served from a machine that started
last October as an 8 Mb 486 and has been down ONLY for power failures
(when all the other machines at the location were down too) and hardware
upgrades (new m/b, more RAM). The NIC was changed from coax to UTP without
even a reboot (same card, just reconfigured).

Machines at home are rebooted to change OS, for hardware upgrades, for
power failures and once because XFree got its nickers twisted and wouldn't
let me use the keyboard. Probably could have averted this with telnet from
another box - just didn't think of it in time.

Cheers
John Summerfield