plug GIMP - a burning need.

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Sun Jun 7 00:36:08 WST 1998

How many of us out there are using the Gimp?
It is an _exceptional_ tool for creating 2D artwork, fonts, animations,
manipulating photos, and graphics and whatever else. Any serious Web
designer should have it in their bag of tricks. For some web designers it
is already the graphics tool of choice. So I wonder.... how many of us
pluggers are using the GIMP?

My interest is threefold.
1.) A GIMP talk would go down very well, IMHO, though I'd rather an
experienced artist rather than little-old-me presented it.
2.) I would love to share experiences, techniques, and artwork with other
users, perhaps even work on some cool plugins.
3.) The big one. GIMP 1.0 has recently been released, and "Wilberworks"
the company founded by the core GIMP coders to provide commercial support
to the GIMP software, have announced a "GIMP 1.0 CD" with GIMP sources,
binaries for various platform, a huge online manual, tutorials, FAQs,
heaps of patterns, fonts, brushes, plugins, scripts, and free-to-use
artwork....the lot, basically.

In the spirit of the big PLUG RH5 burn, how many of us out there would
like to do a similar burn of the GIMP CD?
The CD will be shipped as of June 18, and 20% off the price of %15US is
given for orders postmakred prior to the 15th.

Well, let me know if any of you are interested, or if you think you can
do a reasonable talk on the GIMP.
If you've used GIMP to successful ends, or think you could give a good
tutorial on basic usage, (hell, if you can teach script-fu programming,
no-one's gonna stop you:) that's great. Do your bit for PLUG:)
Just as good might be a PLUG member that hasn't used the GIMP, but has
done a bit of graphics and photoediting on other platforms, and would be
prepared to learn (from me, from online help, or from someone else) how to
use the GIMP to accomplish the tasks with which they are familiar. That
would be ideal for helping with the learning process for other prospective
GIMP-users.
Either way, you would probably be looking at presenting the talk at DEC
(nice big screen so we can see your pretty pictures:) in July or
thereabouts.

I am still looking for a confirmation for this month's UWA meeting, and
ideally I'd like to announce it at the meeting on tuesday.
I have about three prospectives, namely:
John Darrington, device drivers.
Matt Kemner, initialisation scripts.
David Bastow, topic undecided (probably can't make this date anyway)
I would really appreciate if any of these people could firm up their
proposal, or if anyone else can offer me a talk. (having been in the
hotseat, I can assure you it is not as intimidating as it appears:)

If you are thinking about a talk you might be able to do, but have some
reservation or concern, or some need for resources, tech-type help,
someone to co-present, or just some reassurance that people are keen to
hear your talk, then please contact me about these things, since I guess
they fall under my general role as talkd. On the other hand, some of these
thing you could just post them to the list if you want to, whatever suits.

I am going to repost the list of topics I wrote out many moons ago,
because this has been requested by a few people on and off the list, would
people like to suggest other topics they would like to hear, or feel they
could present?

Thanks,

-Greg