plug MYSQL

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Sun Jun 7 10:25:33 WST 1998

Matthew Murray wrote:
> Is it possible to use mysql or a similar freeware based sql query frontend
> to hook up to a SQL based database under NT from a Linux based system.

Sorry, are you trying to pull data from a SQL database on the NT system,
or is the NT system trying to pull data from Linux?

PostGreSQL seems to work fine for me as a SQL server
(http://www.postgresql.org) with PHP as a front end
(http://www.php.net). If you're going the other way, it's concievable to
get PHP to use the NT SQL server as a back-end, but why?

Involving NT (or, for that matter, even FrontPage extensions on a Linux
box) in any way seems to be the security equivalent of hanging a "Kick
Me" sign on your site. Unless you happen to be a Bronze developer who
actually knows how to set it up properly.