plug GIMP - a burning need.

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Sun Jun 7 11:52:42 WST 1998

The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > > How many of us out there are using the Gimp?
> > Me. Lots, since I've go a _whole_ 32M of RAM now (-:
> Heh. Me too, works fine as long as you kill communicator before you load
> the GIMP....

Seems to work OK for me with both at once. Then I can just hit the
reload button to see how a changed page looks without the infamous
Netscape Coffeebreak. But I watched someone installing IE4.0 on Friday,
and NS is 'lite' by comparison!

> > I want a version that doesn't use X, so I can batch-produce graphics. I
> > guess it would require enough of X to find and decode fonts.

> I don't see how X hurts in this respect?

Resource hogging. I want to run the graphics converts on otherwise
unbusy 16MB machines, and X is a few extra MB that I apparently don't
need except for loading fonts.