plug GIMP - a burning need.

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Sun Jun 7 11:16:45 WST 1998

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Leon Brooks wrote:
> The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > How many of us out there are using the Gimp?
> Me. Lots, since I've go a _whole_ 32M of RAM now (-:
Heh. Me too, works fine as long as you kill communicator before you load
the GIMP....

> I want a version that doesn't use X, so I can batch-produce graphics. I
> guess it would require enough of X to find and decode fonts.
I don't see how X hurts in this respect?
A lot of people are using the GIMP to batch-produce graphics, using
script-fu or custom extensions, though I must admit to being very new to
this side of things myself.
At any rate, I've seen a lot of reports of the GIMP being by far the best
scriptable image manipulator out there, so it must have some capabilities?
If there are capabilities that you feel it is missing, tell us what they
are... maybe someone here knows a trick... or perhaps one of us (like
perhaps me :) will want to code it.

> > Well, let me know if any of you are interested, or if you think you can
> > do a reasonable talk on the GIMP.
> Interested, yes, but I'm more at home with Scheme than graphic design.
> If it can wait until July, perhaps I can, er, brush up...
<a note to the uninitiated, GIMP scripting is mostly done in Scheme>
MMMM, scheme, yummy. Personally I would prefer a scheme talk, but I don't
imagine there are many others out there who would benefit from it, unless
we scheduled it a couple of months after a general GIMP talk.
At any rate, I'm pencilling you in for whatever talk you see fit, second
tuesday of July.
Now if only we could find someone for the meeting before that. >plead<

-Greg