plug RedHat 5.1 CD burn - No more orders please... (just for

chris mcdonald chris at cs.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 9 10:34:26 WST 1998

David Campbell wrote:

    I will be trying to steal the "floor" at the DEC meeting on Tuesday night
    for several minutes. What I would like is a few ideas on direction that
    should be taken with the CDs.

    1) Should a "PLUG" distribution CD be released:
	    a) every 3 months
	    b) every time RedHat releases a new version
	    c) whenever someone gets off their backsides and does something...

I don't wish to rain on the great service that David is providing, but am
wondering if PLUG can better serve people by simply making bulk orders to
a few known and trusted Linux distribution companies in Australia.
The bulk purchase then ammortises the postage costs and no-one's generous
time is recovered at $4/hr.

For example, I've just purchased a number of $6.95 RH v5.1 CDs from
Linux System's Lab (http://www.tesla.net.au/) and with postage they only
ended up costing a dollar extra each.  Another good company I've used is
Cetus Technology (http://www.cetustech.com.au/) and they have almost
identical pricing.

So burning a "PLUG" CD might be a good idea, for more esoteric things
like KDE and StarOffice, as might buying a number of full distributions
(even non-RedHat!) for PLUG members to borrow,  but I don't think just
burning full-standard-distributions is too effective an exercise.

                  Dr Chris McDonald     EMAIL:  chris at cs.uwa.edu.au
     Department of Computer Science       WWW:  http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~chris
The University of Western Australia     PHONE:  +61 8 9380 2533
   Crawley, Western Australia, 6907       FAX:  +61 8 9380 1089