plug RedHat 5.1 CD burn - No more orders please... (just for

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Tue Jun 9 20:44:44 WST 1998

> From:          chris mcdonald <chris at cs.uwa.edu.au>

> I don't wish to rain on the great service that David is providing, but am
> wondering if PLUG can better serve people by simply making bulk orders to
> a few known and trusted Linux distribution companies in Australia.
> The bulk purchase then ammortises the postage costs and no-one's generous
> time is recovered at $4/hr.

After seeing the LSL page (I only saw it a few days ago) I thought it
might be easier for me to place a bulk order than to cut any more CDs.

> So burning a "PLUG" CD might be a good idea, for more esoteric things
> like KDE and StarOffice, as might buying a number of full distributions
> (even non-RedHat!) for PLUG members to borrow,  but I don't think just
> burning full-standard-distributions is too effective an exercise.

Excellent suggestion!!

As for a "library" system we will need to have a "membership" list (so we
can track down the delinquents - experience from another club). My
impression of PLUG is that everyone is invited, the only money required
is for refreshments.

Perhaps a simple "library" membership at say $5 per annum, a limit of one
item per library membership, return expected in 4 weeks (since some
people can not make some PLUG meetings). The $5 would be used to replace
library stock (outdated or going missing).

Suggestions anyone? Seeya tonight!!

David Campbell

PS: I am looking forward to the Samba discussion tonight so I can pick up
a few tips for configuring my VMS Samba box (it wasn't my choice of OS).
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"