plug rsh on non-networked non-modem machine (MPI)

Nicholas Yue yue at cwr.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 11 10:21:50 WST 1998

Hi,

	I have just installed RH 5.0 on my home machine which is not connected
to the Interent in anyway (no network card or modem).

	I am trying to use MPI again, I had it working on RH 4.1 after some
mucking around with the /etc/hosts file but this time it did not work.

	As a requirement for MPI (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/), I need a
working rsh.

	When I did a

	yue at localhost:~$ rsh localhost ls
	socket: protocol failure in circuit setup.

	I thought maybe I need to give it a hostname, so I modified the
/etc/hosts file and rebooted the machine

	yue at merlion:~$ rsh merlion ls
	socket: protocol failure in circuit setup.

	Anyone with suggestions to help?

Cheers
--
Nicholas Yue                    | JavaBeans.
yue at cwr.uwa.edu.au              | Roasted Once, Brewed Everywhere ®