[plug] ZIP/JAZ/SPARQ drives

David Cambell campbell at gear.torque.net
Fri Jun 12 17:22:10 WST 1998

> anyone have anything good/bad to say about internal jaz/zip or sparq
> drives (the latter 2 are 1gb)?

ZIP drives are almost everywhere I am afraid to say... But 100Mb for some
people is not enough. The IDE ZIP drives are supported using ATAPI Floppy.
Obviously some people are making comments without checking my web page :=)

The Jaz drive requires a SCSI card which may not be a bad thing. The
Sparq is an IDE devic, both internal and parallel port versions.

The JAZ media is expensive while the Sparq is meant to be reasonably priced.
Apparently SyQuest is trying to regain market share from Iomega.

> is a zip worth getting? - im starting to think it may be, reasonably cheap
> and cartridges are cheap ($25 or there abouts).

I would suggest you have a long hard think about this. If you are looking
\for an external device try the parallel port ZIP drive. Avoid the ZIP
Plus as the SCSI mode (it can work on parallel ports and SCSI busses)
is a little dodgy when there are other devices attached.

If anyone is thinking about parallel port devices and Linux, check
http://www.torque.net/parport.html

David Campbell (using vi to edit this email)