[plug] ZIP/JAZ/SPARQ drives

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Jun 13 08:06:03 WST 1998

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Gavin Tweedie wrote:

> anyone have anything good/bad to say about internal jaz/zip or sparq
> drives (the latter 2 are 1gb)?
> is a zip worth getting? - im starting to think it may be, reasonably cheap
> and cartridges are cheap ($25 or there abouts).

Include the price of media in your evaluation. ZIP and the other drives
come out rather dear when you include 3 Gb of storage.

Consider a Fujitsu MO drive too. Bear in mind too that 640 Mb media have 2
K sectors - unsupported in kernels to 2.0.34 so you'd need a 2.1 kernel.

According to an article in APC Mag there's not much performance difference
between the MO drives and some of the magnetic competitors and the MO
drive though the MO drive IS relatively slow (compared with my fixed
drives).

the MO drive is Extremely slow under NT but quite reasonable on OS/2 and
Linux.

Cheers
John Summerfield