[plug] vid card

Doug Clulow clulow at usa.net
Tue Jun 16 20:48:07 WST 1998

Hellraiser4 [aka Ray Gerhard] wrote:

> hmm, what's the _cheapest_ vid card i could buy that will still load at
> 16bpp or 24bpp? (im sick of 8bpp). heh.. it seems i have an all around
> "crap" computer :-)..
> ray

I have a generic Cirrus which cost me about $40, it will not run on Linux
at 16bpp, but from my perusal of the documentation I think that it may if
the memory is upgraded to 2M..  I tried to test this theory last weekend,
but plugged the chips in upside down.  They get very very hot, and don't
work afterwards.

Perhaps someone knows for sure, as I only really want the extra memory so I
can see pictures better in Netscape.  (They look fine with XView).

Doug