[plug] pine

russ root at powerstech.com
Thu Jun 18 11:23:11 WST 1998

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, russ wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use pine to send mail from my linux machine. When I send
> > mail, it puts the proper domain of the mail server I use but uses
> > whatever local name I am logged into my machine as (which gets me in
> > trouble at the mail server if I happen to be logged in as root at the
> > time). I haven't been able to find any settings in pine's setup that
> > have made any difference.
>
> You really shouldn't be running stuff like pine as root :P
> you should be logged in as a user under normal circumstances and only su
> to root when necessary.

Yes, I agree. The only defense I have is that I am new to linux and trying
to configure my machine so I don't have to log on as root. Amongst other
things, currently I can't get my dialup ppp to work unless I am logged in
as root. Something I must have done in the early stages?

> alternatively you could write a bash alias such as:
>
> alias pine="su - russ -c pine"
>
> If you must run pine as root, you can add your own headers under the
> "customized-hdrs" section, so you can add a "From:" header that defaults
> to your user account.

I will try both methods.

>  - Matt

Thanks for the help.