[plug] pine

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 18 11:25:46 WST 1998

On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 11:23:11AM +0800, russ wrote:

> Yes, I agree. The only defense I have is that I am new to linux and trying
> to configure my machine so I don't have to log on as root. Amongst other
> things, currently I can't get my dialup ppp to work unless I am logged in
> as root. Something I must have done in the early stages?

You should be able to su to root, get the ppp conection happening and
then end the su session. This is normal. It is possible to change
permission on files (read about suid) so that an ordinary user can kick
off ppp session.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065