[plug] All systems go for tonight! ... maybe ...

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Mon Jun 22 15:51:59 WST 1998

The University Computer Club is an interesting phenomenon. Nobody
responded to me after my request to use their premises, nor is
anyone in authority currently present _BUT_ they did tell their
members to prepare for the occasion. Hmmm. I've taken that as a
Yes, but left word for them to ring me back if that's wrong.

Since I'm sure some people will turn up up at UWA anyway, I'll
stick redirections up at CompSci, and signs at the traffic lights
and on Hackett Drive.

We're looking at UBD map 287 ref D10. If you're coming along
Mounts Bay Road from the city, turn left at Hackett Drive
(there's a sign there advertising cheap fish; squid at last
count). From Winthrop Avenue, turn left into Stirling Highway,
right at Hackett. If you get as far as Royal Perth Yacht Club,
you've gone too far.

If you reassemble this horrid link:

http://www2.whitepages.com.au/cgi-bin/flinders_eg?PG=B&OP=PN&DR=S&SI=S.10350.10807.&N=BROADWAY+FAIR+SHOPPING+CENTRE+..CNTR+MNGRS&R=;88;BROADWAY+ST;;NEDLANDS;6009;WA;&I=2&T=(08)+9386-3390&A=76605&MR=287+D10&LR=2

(White Pages didn't want to know about maps for UWA proper or
RPYC, so consider this link as a workaround patch) ...you will
get a map. The Guild Building is level with the upper of the two
jetties, and on the west side of the road (opposite the public
toilets - yes, it's been said). The entrance to the UCC is a
large set of stairs on the south-east corner of the building, ie
on the left as you face it from the road. There will be signs, I
plan.

Bring a four- or six-way power board if you have one. As I
remember the layout, space won't be a savage problem but holes to
plug computers into may be. A UTP hub may be useful.

There is at least one vending machine, which was on the Internet
at last count and over Coca-Cola's objections, and there are more
in the Guild proper.

The UCC's phone is 9380-3901, but isn't often answered, and mine
is 0411-655-020.

We should discuss future "fourth monday" meetings, and how to
move them temporally or physically. We should also discuss
becoming an association. Bring any FreeBSD friends, and we may
convinve them to start their own group, or may just incorporate
them and build a big free-unix group. I think the market and aims
would be different to WAUUG due to the freeness of software and
cheapness of hardware that Linux, *BSD et al generally represent.

There is an interesting article addressing a problem unique to
free unices, and perhaps underscoring the conceptual differences
at:

http://www.linuxresources.com/news/uniforum.html

---
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.