[plug] Odd problem in install (info)

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Mon Nov 9 08:25:20 WST 1998

I had a problem running RedHat 5.0 install.  I'd get right through up to
when the Install tries to write the boot record, then it would fail.

To start with I thought it was my bodgy CDROM drive, which causes this
sort of behaviour.  But eventually I tracked it down - I was setting up
the HDD with a swap partition, a small DOS partition and the rest ext2
and I was making the DOS partition type 6 instead of type 4.  This
relates to if the DOS partition is less than or greater than 32 MB.

It's rather odd that such an error would prevent the install wrapping up
successfully - you would think that it would just make the DOS partition
unusable.

K.