[plug] Attempting to set up Linux proxy / home server...

David Buddrige dbuddrige at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:39:13 WST 1998

Hi all,

I have two computers at home, one runs Windows 95 (for my wife), and the
other runs Linux. (Redhat 5.1)

I am wanting to configure my linux box so that I can dial out to the
internet, and my wife can also browse the net using my computer as a
proxy, while I sit on the Linux box and (also) browse the web...

+------+     +-------+          +-------+
|Win95 |-----| Linux |===PPP====|  ISP  |
+------+     +-------+          +-------+

The Win95 box and Linux box, are connected via a twisted pair (RJ45)
cross-over cable... I am able to ping the win95 computer from the Linux
computer and visa-versa, so I know that the "network" is functioning.

Also, connecting up to my own (Linux) computer to the net is not a
problem... I've done this more times than I recall...

However, there are a number of things I am having some difficulty in
doing (in order of importance)

1. FTP from Win95 to Linux (The SQUID Rpm) is sitting on my Win95 box -
since I rebuilt the Linux box from scratch)... I want to set up FTP
between the two computers so I can transfer various files that are
backed up on the win95 machine, over to the Linux box... IF I can FTP
from Win95, then I can "put" the files where I want them...

2. Get SQUID operating on the Linux box so my Wife can browse the web
through my computer.

3. Get SAMBA operating on the Linux box, so my wife can store files on
an account on the Linux box, as a basic file server (not hugely
important - but I'd like to be able to do it)...

I've been messing around with this for about 4 hours now, with no
luck... any suggestions (HOWTO's to check out), etc, or other comments
greatly appreciated...

cheers all

David Buddrige
dbuddrige at ozemail.com.au