[plug] Attempting to set up Linux proxy / home server...

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 11 09:34:25 WST 1998

> Hi all,
>
> I have two computers at home, one runs Windows 95 (for my wife), and the
> other runs Linux. (Redhat 5.1)
>
> I am wanting to configure my linux box so that I can dial out to the
> internet, and my wife can also browse the net using my computer as a
> proxy, while I sit on the Linux box and (also) browse the web...
>
> +------+     +-------+          +-------+
> |Win95 |-----| Linux |===PPP====|  ISP  |
> +------+     +-------+          +-------+
>
> The Win95 box and Linux box, are connected via a twisted pair (RJ45)
> cross-over cable... I am able to ping the win95 computer from the Linux
> computer and visa-versa, so I know that the "network" is functioning.
>
> Also, connecting up to my own (Linux) computer to the net is not a
> problem... I've done this more times than I recall...
>
> However, there are a number of things I am having some difficulty in
> doing (in order of importance)
>
> 1. FTP from Win95 to Linux (The SQUID Rpm) is sitting on my Win95 box -
> since I rebuilt the Linux box from scratch)... I want to set up FTP
> between the two computers so I can transfer various files that are
> backed up on the win95 machine, over to the Linux box... IF I can FTP
> from Win95, then I can "put" the files where I want them...

Red hat should have set this up for you if you chose the full installation.
If you don't have DNS running then you will have to FTP to the IP address of
the machine.  There is a conf file somewhere (sorry about being so vague,
but I don't have a Linux box in front of me right now) that will alow you to
set permissions.  I use the same technique for transfering files and it
works like a charm.

> 2. Get SQUID operating on the Linux box so my Wife can browse the web
> through my computer.

I tried the RPM and had a bit of trouble.  I ended up downloading the source
and compiling it.  And it never missed a beat.

> 3. Get SAMBA operating on the Linux box, so my wife can store files on
> an account on the Linux box, as a basic file server (not hugely
> important - but I'd like to be able to do it)...

There is a file called \etc\smb.conf where you set up permissions.  If you
read through the file you should find it fairly self explanatory.

If you installed all the document files on you Linux box, all the howtos
should be there. do a search for them  (find -n howto* should work).  I
created a symbolic link from Apache's root directory to the howtos so that I
could browse them from my windows box.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob Hall

PS - I never heard back from the Cafe down south.  I have the impression
that they are a bit strapped for cash.