[plug] AGM, part 1

leon at brooks.smileys.net leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Nov 12 19:04:29 WST 1998

On 12 Nov, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 leon at brooks.smileys.net wrote:
>> Christmas is voted (pending any rational veto beforehand) to be a
>> session at Global Warriors, starting 8PM on Saturday 5th December and to
>> replace all December meetings.

> I've just had another word with GW, and they advise that 8pm is really a
> little too late to be starting a network games night..  The trouble is
> that for new members, the set-up times are just too great (if you've ever
> tried to set up a multi-platform network you'll know what I mean - making
> all machines talk to each other properly requires a knack, and lots of
> patience :) - of course the linux machines will have the least hassle,
> providing you've all got your ethernet cards properly detected and set up.
> (Yes you do need to bring your own ethernet card)

> Peter also says he prefers a Sunday rather than a Saturday, because
> Saturday is his biggest trade day, so he can't guarantee we get the place
> to ourselves, which on Sunday he can.

I also would prefer (most) Sundays. Saturday night was at David
Campbell's request, and nobody else objected. If it's on a Sunday, I
can attend earlier as well. Uh, does GW have barbecue facilities or
anything like that?

>> Matt advises that an all-day session is a discount $20 including

> Peter's willing to drop the price to $15 for non-members and $10 for
> existing members, and prefers you drop in as of about 2pm, so we can get
> the network sorted out - otherwise we will spend more time trying to get
> the network to work, than actually having fun. (of course some of us
> consider playing with networks "fun" but that's all a matter of opinion :)

> Also, Peter's advised that he will be upgrading his entire network
> before then, and replacing his "repeater" hubs with Cisco 10/100 switches.

Well, as it happens... (-:

I will have a 100Mb card and can bring a few 10Mb cards if needed (UTP
and BNC, some both, and tees and BNC cable, and maybe even UTP cables).
Crossover cables are harder, but maybe can be done. I can also bring
individual self-contained UTP-to-AUI adaptors.