[plug] AGM, part 1

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Nov 12 13:13:02 WST 1998

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 leon at brooks.smileys.net wrote:

> Christmas is voted (pending any rational veto beforehand) to be a
> session at Global Warriors, starting 8PM on Saturday 5th December and to
> replace all December meetings.

I've just had another word with GW, and they advise that 8pm is really a
little too late to be starting a network games night..  The trouble is
that for new members, the set-up times are just too great (if you've ever
tried to set up a multi-platform network you'll know what I mean - making
all machines talk to each other properly requires a knack, and lots of
patience :) - of course the linux machines will have the least hassle,
providing you've all got your ethernet cards properly detected and set up.
(Yes you do need to bring your own ethernet card)

Peter also says he prefers a Sunday rather than a Saturday, because
Saturday is his biggest trade day, so he can't guarantee we get the place
to ourselves, which on Sunday he can.

> Matt advises that an all-day session is a discount $20 including

Peter's willing to drop the price to $15 for non-members and $10 for
existing members, and prefers you drop in as of about 2pm, so we can get
the network sorted out - otherwise we will spend more time trying to get
the network to work, than actually having fun. (of course some of us
consider playing with networks "fun" but that's all a matter of opinion :)

Also, Peter's advised that he will be upgrading his entire network
before then, and replacing his "repeater" hubs with Cisco 10/100 switches.

Comments/queries/suggestions?

 - Matt