[plug] Ithink I broke it: Was ...

Kent Ian Ian.Kent at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Nov 13 08:57:44 WST 1998

>I figured it out - SQUID wasn't running after I rebooted the computer...
>even though it appears as /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K25squid in the startup

This is a kill (K) script not a start (S) script. I seem to vaguely remember
some problem with that myself.

It may help to create a sym link like:

cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
ln -s ../init.d/squid S75squid

You use the number, 75 in this case, to set the order in which the start scripts
will run. (Mind you, if you are using RPMs they assume that that this has not
changed for the ones they install.)

This also assumes that your 'initdefault' is run level 3. You probably should
check /etc/inittab.

>scripts... I tried starting SQUID manually when I turned on the computer
>but it failed with a DNS problem... It seems to need to have the

Yes, squid does DNS lookup tests at startup. The -D option disables this. I
don't have the startup script with me but it should be fairly obvious where to
put in the option.

snip ...

Ian Kent