[plug] burning 5.2

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Mon Nov 16 06:45:21 WST 1998

Date sent:      	Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:28:34 +0800 (WST)
From:           	Niall Young <niall at gospel.iinet.net.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	[plug] burning 5.2
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> What's the best way to make an iso image of RH and burn it?
>
> I've tried making an iso image with:
>
> mkisofs -b images/boot.img -r -o redhat-5.2 .
>
> from the i386 directory and burnt it as an iso image.  It boots fine,
> but fails to find the CD data when trying to complete the installation.
> ALT-F3 shows:

Make sure that the installation directory has r-xr-x-rx permissions before
starting the burn. Do a quick "ls -lR" on the source directory to a file and go
through it slowly, any file that is not a document or an rpm file set to execute.

I lost something like 4 CD burns (out of the 20 or so I did) for RH5.1 due to
this. The classic symptom is that the floppy stage works until the second
stage kicks in and then dies horribly.

Otherwise the only other thing you are probably missing is a couple of "-v" to
watch the progress :-)

David Campbell

PS: Could you contact me so I can grab a copy for the library.
Notice to follow about new library rules.
campbell at torque.net

Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux
parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
b) Get to the bottom of rumors of a third ZIP interface
c) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome