[plug] burning 5.2

Niall Young niall at gospel.iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 17 11:59:11 WST 1998

> > mkisofs -b images/boot.img -r -o redhat-5.2 .
>
> Make sure that the installation directory has r-xr-x-rx permissions before
> starting the burn. Do a quick "ls -lR" on the source directory to a file and go
> through it slowly, any file that is not a document or an rpm file set to execute.

I re-read the man page for mkisofs and realized a chmod 777 -R * should
do the job if you use the -r switch:

-r     This  is like the -R option, but file ownership and
              modes are set to more useful values.  The  uid  and
              gid  are set to zero, because they are usually only
              useful on the author's system, and  not  useful  to
              the  client.   All the file read bits are set true,
              so that files and directories are globally readable
              on  the  client.   If  any execute bit is set for a
              file, set all of the execute bits, so that executa-
              bles are globally executable on the client.  If any
              search bit is set for a directory, set all  of  the
              search  bits,  so  that  directories  are  globally
              searchable on  the  client.   All  write  bits  are
              cleared,  because  the CD-Rom will be mounted read-
              only in any case.  If any of the special mode  bits
              are  set,  clear  them,  because file locks are not
              useful on a read-only file system, and set-id  bits
              are not desirable for uid 0 or gid 0.

I'll burn one later tonight to test.

> I lost something like 4 CD burns (out of the 20 or so I did) for RH5.1 due to

We've lost 6 so far ;-)

> PS: Could you contact me so I can grab a copy for the library.

Yep.  As I work at iiNet I'll try to burn all new versions for the library
as soon as they're available.  I still haven't made it to a plug meeting
yet - when is the next one?

Niall.