[plug] make menuconfig

Colin 't Hart hart at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 17 15:02:38 WST 1998

Hi all,

Building kernels is almost as religious as choosing a distribution.

I like Debian as a distribution because it feels very well put together --
it's the principle behind the Linux kernel applied to the whole OS. THe
developers have their personal reputation at stake.

However, Debian 2.0 -- for me at least -- installed Kernel 2.0.34 and
Kernel Source 2.0.34, but the /usr/include/linux dir had files which
were from 2.0.33. This meant that when I got via-rhine.c and compiled the
module for my ethernet card driver it wouldn't insmod into my running kernel.

Anyway. I nuked /usr/include/linux and /usr/src/linux and the 2 sym links in
/usr/src that pointed to /usr/src/linux (or some such combintation).

I got 2.0.36 as a .tar.gz and put it in /usr/src/linux. Added a link from
/usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux (or something like that)
and built my new kernel and modules; everything runs sweetly.

I sense some dichotomy here -- using packages to install source and then
building a kernel and copying a few files around ??

Have fun,

Colin