[plug] Another (Possibly) Redhat specific squid tip

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Nov 22 07:35:01 WST 1998

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, David Buddrige wrote:

> Just noticed that my user "nobody" was disabled from a default redhat
> 5.1 install... while this is good from a security perspective, it meant
> that when squid was trying to use user nobody as per the squid.conf
> line:
>
> cache_effective_user nobody nobody
>
> it wasn't having a lot of luck... so I enabled the nobody user, and gave
> it a password for security reasons, and squid now seems to be running a
> heap faster!...

Bollocks.
fwiw Here are two lines from my /etc/passwd
nobody:*:99:99:Nobody:/:
squid:!:15:51:Squid - WWW proxy cache:/var/cache:/bin/bash

My squid runs as "squid."

Your observation is equivalent to
   "The maximum temp yesterday was 30c."
   "It rained last evening."
and the conclusion
   "Next time the maximum temp  is 30c, it will rain in the evening."

Flawed logic like this leads to superstition.

Cheers
John Summerfield