[plug] NFS problem

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Nov 30 10:29:55 WST 1998

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, John Summerfield wrote:

> On Nov 15 I was stuffing round with kernel sources & built kernel 2.1.126
> which I removed next day as my system froze.
>
> Starts to look as if I should mail to kernel-sources.

That makes no sense.  It worked with 2.0.35. You upgrade to 2.1.126 (and
I presume upgraded certain userland utilities as per
Documentation/Changes) and were dissatisfied with 2.1.126 so went back to
2.0.35, and it stops working, hence you blame the kernel.  More likely
it's one of the userland utilities you upgraded that are to blame.

Try adding the explicit lines

rpc.mountd: emu.os2.ami.com.au: ALLOW
rpc.mountd: 192.168.1.2: ALLOW

to your /etc/hosts.allow
Shouldnt' make any difference, but the way mountd handles hosts.allow may
be different from what you expect. rpc.portmap bit me that way.

Also, I found when I had the same problem you did, that killing mountd,
and running
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -F -d   # run in foreground, debug
was very helpful to the cause.
running strace -p `pidof rpc.mountd` can be very enlightening too.

 - Matt