[plug] NFS problem

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Mon Nov 30 10:39:35 WST 1998

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> > > On Nov 15 I was stuffing round with kernel sources & built kernel 2.1.126
> > > which I removed next day as my system froze.
> > There's a possibility... did you configure or deconfigure knfsd by any
> What's knfsd?
It's a kernel-side NFS server, designed for better performance than the
userspace one. As such, you won't find a knfsd binaryon your filesystem.

> Probably not.
> [summer at possum summer]$ locate knfsd
> [summer at possum summer]$
Confirmed, confirmed, she is a witch!!
Well, actually, no, it doesn't confirm anything. :(
If you are back on the stable kernels, then I suppose you will not be
running a knfsd anymore, if you were at the time.

> > Or perhaps you upgraded something that was required by the new kernel?
> > (i.e. in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes)
> I'm at the level of everything required by kernel '126.
OK, so the answer almost certainly lies in one of those things you
upgraded. Do you remember what those were? Are you certain you didn't
upgrade something but not upgrade a dependency it might have had?
If you install from .tgz you can never be sure. In fact, at times the
RPMs for 2.1 support have been a bit dicey, but I don't believe there've
been any problems that recently.
Do you recall whether NFS worked while you were running 2.1.126?

> > Perhaps the best idea is to upgrade everything to the newest version, so
> > that you know they are in sync, then see if the problem still persists.
> I have patches here to upgrade to '130 (and probably for 2.0.36 as well).
> My efforts with 2.1 kernels have not been encouraging.
Well, everyone is expecting a December release, so if you are having
problems with the 2.1 series, you _really_ need to sort them out as soon
as you can, before the problems become "stable".
Did you have stability problems, speed problems, or reduced capabilities?
For the first two, it is very important that the kernel guys get
the bug report before 2.2 arrives.
For the latter, you will probably find your troubles stem from an
out-of-sync userspace.

-Greg