[plug] Who is HPA?

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Oct 6 09:39:18 WST 1998

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Colin 't Hart wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm afraid I missed a few messages... I resubscribed
> after a holiday late September but missed the announcements
> and the early reviews.

HPA is H. Peter Anvin <hpa at transmeta.com> - close friend and coworker of
Linus Torvalds and author of the autofs kernel automounter, the syslinux
bootloader (RedHat and Debian boot disks use syslinux), magicfilter, and
several other projects considered by most to be very important to the
Linux world.  (He also maintains the Device Number Registry - so when
someone codes a new driver for a totally new type of I/O interface, he
allocetes major/minor number for their /dev/* files)

It's a shame you missed last Monday's meeting, because HPA's talk on
autofs (and the ensuing "anything goes" discussion) was very interesting.

 - Matt