[plug] Re: [ticket #46275]Getting XWindows working

David Buddrige dbuddrige at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 23:47:01 WST 1998

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your assistance - I managed to get it working by jumping
onto www.yahoo.com and doing a search for everything relating to
Diamond Stealth II S220 video cards - particularly the usenet archives.

I discovered this email in the usenet archives which answered my
question.

http://x8.dejanews.com/=yahoo/getdoc.xp?AN=397104600&CONTEXT=907859695.416285011&hitnum=5

Apparently while xfree86 does not currently support the Diamond Stealth
II S220 card, SUSE has developed an XServer that WILL run
this card - indeed it was this very card upon which it was tested...

It is available at:

ftp://ftp.suse.org/pub/SuSE-Linux/5.3/suse/xsrv3/xrenditn.rpm

You also need to use a a modified xf86config program in order to get
this x server to get it to work... it is available at
ftp://ftp.suse.org/pub/suse_update/XSuSE/config/xsuseconfig.tgz

With the zsuseconfig.tgz, you first make backup copies of your
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config program and
/user/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards configuration file...

Then as root, goto the / directory and tryp the command:

tar -xzvf /the-path-to-the-tgz-file/xsuseconfig.tgz

Then by running the xf86Config program, you are able to configure
Xwindows using the appropriate card which is then listed you will
notice.... 8-)

Anyway, you might wanty to post this at one of your support archives
somewhere.... 8-)

The text of the email says: