[plug] SCSI Card problems

Systems Administrator sysadmin at kondinin.com.au
Fri Oct 9 11:10:56 WST 1998

I have been running Red Hat 2.0.35 with an Adaptec 1542-CP SCSI controller
card in a linux box and have had reason to use the card in another computer.
I have replaced it with a TekRam 800B SCSI controller which TekRam tells me
is meant to be Adaptec 1542 compatible, and I figured that because of this,
I could just place it into the computer and away it would go.

I'm getting SCSI controller timeout errors, etc. I have made sure that the
Base I/O, IRQ and DMA settings are identical on each card.

I then booted from the Red Hat boot disk and said "Yes" to the computer
having a SCSI controller card. When I choose "Adaptec 1542", the computer
says "Scanning SCSI bus" and appears to hang. I repeated the process and
gave some values, instead of letting Red Hat use it's AutoProbe feature.
Still I have no joy.

Has anyone seen this sort of problem before? If so, what should I be doing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Paul Prout
Systems Administrator
Kondinin Group