[plug] Proxy serving, and dial-on-demand

John Breen wombat at mad.scientist.com
Thu Oct 1 21:29:41 WST 1998

I am in the process of setting up a linux box on my LAN at home.  Until
recently, I have been running WinGate as a proxy to the ISP for my wife's
and my internet accounts.  However, I want to move everything over to the
linux box.

What I need to do is set up equivalent functionality to WinGate under
Redhat.  That is, I need:

* Dial on demand to the ISP, preferably with scripted login
* Caching nameserver which will lookup on the ISP DNS if it hasn't got a
  name
* HTTP Proxy
* FTP Proxy
* NNTP Proxy
* SMTP Proxy
* POP3 Proxy

These are at a minimum.  I'd also like to set up a firewall.  They're not
in any order of preference or anything.  I'm pretty sure the first two
then the last 3 are most important.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some of this stuff?

Cheers,

John Breen