[plug] Proxy serving, and dial-on-demand

Glen Lewis kisa at kisa.com
Mon Oct 19 22:54:09 WST 1998

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, John Breen wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a linux box on my LAN at home.  Until
> recently, I have been running WinGate as a proxy to the ISP for my wife's
> and my internet accounts.  However, I want to move everything over to the
> linux box.
>
> What I need to do is set up equivalent functionality to WinGate under
> Redhat.  That is, I need:
>
> * Dial on demand to the ISP, preferably with scripted login
> * Caching nameserver which will lookup on the ISP DNS if it hasn't got a
>   name
> * HTTP Proxy
> * FTP Proxy
> * NNTP Proxy
> * SMTP Proxy
> * POP3 Proxy

Two words - IP Masquerading.  It will pretty much provide all of this for
you with the exception of "dial on demand".  I would suggest that you have
a search for this.

To be brutal, you will need to do the following ...

1. Build IP Masquerading into your kernel.
2. Add the following ipfwadm to your rc.local file although I would be the
first to admit the first block is unneccessary.

   # straight out of the masquerading mini-HOWTO
   /sbin/depmod -a
   /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
   /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
   /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc

   # This turns on the masquerading
   /sbin/ipfwadm -F -m -a acc -S 192.168.1.0/24

Hope this helps.
Glen