[plug] Results from Samba and Masq

Kent Ian Ian.Kent at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Sep 4 08:21:28 WST 1998

>c)      Browsing only shows machines on the local broadcast network.

Browse list propagation is not happening then. There must also be a Domain
Master browser (that can contact each of the Master Browsers) to send the info
around. This is inevitably the Domain controller. Samba is not able to function
as a Domain Controller yet (scheduled for version 2, otherwise the NTDOM code is
available as alpha).

>        I had WINS proxy turned on but this did not seem to make much
>        difference.

WINS servers or proxies only translate names to IP they don't take part in
Browse list propagation.

Ian Kent