[plug] Which log file?

Christian c.payne at student.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Sep 7 22:16:42 WST 1998

At 21:26 7/09/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Which, if any, log file can i peruse to find out how many calls I have made
>to the net, and where am i likely to find it. I am using Slackware.

For memory the default Slackware config keeps this in /var/log/messages for
this information.  To browse this file type: "less /var/log/messages"

If you want to count how many times you've dialed up then try:

grep pppd /var/log/messages | grep Connect | wc -l

This should report to you the number of times you've been connected since
the start of the log file - there's probably a better way (ie, selection of
strings to search for) but you wanted an answer so here's an answer. :)

Regards,

Christian.