[plug] Loss of X mouse control

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Sep 17 08:55:37 WST 1998

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Greg Gamble wrote:

> I've also
> noticed that if I remove the link /dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux and
> make the link /dev/mouse -> /dev/gpmdata and then do a `startx'
> the mouse will race around the terminal screen border with menus
> popping up every now and then. After quite a bit of trial-and-error

Silly Question: when you make the symlink to /dev/gpmdata, do you change
your X config to tell X you now have a mouse systems mouse, and do you
ensure "gpm" is run with the -R switch?

Gpm in -R (repeater) mode will read the mouse input on behalf of X, and
then output each movement to /dev/gpmdata, in Mouse Systems mode, so if
you change between /dev/psaux and /dev/gpmdata you really have to notify X
of the change..

I have a 3 button "microsoft mode" mouse, and X under ms mode doesn't
recognise the middle button, which gpm in ms mode does, so I run gpm in
repeater mode and point my X server at /dev/gpmdata in mouse systems
mode.. works fine, and I now cringe at the idea of reverting back to a 2
button mouse.. 2 buttons just aren't enough! :)

 - Matt