[plug] Adaptec AVA 1520 and Linux?

P Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 23 23:32:14 WST 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, David Campbell wrote:

> I just received a SCSI internal ZIP drive only to find that Iomega ships
> an Adaptec AVA 1520 with it. The drive has been installed in a DCS
> (Digital Control System) console so I have this little card still
> in its original anti-static bag.
>
> When I say little, it fits in an ISA slot and is 37mm high (or 45mm
> if you include the ISA connector), barely enough room for the 50
> way connector.
>
> Has anyone tried to use a similar card under Linux?
> What is the performance like?

Yep, with no problems what so ever, although you need to add an append
statement to the lilo.conf file. If I remember correctly its
append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1" where 0x140 is the I/O (either 140 or 340)
and 11 is the IRQ.

Performance is the same as the Adaptec 1520 ISA SCSI II card as its
exactly the same chipset, its not bad for a Zip, CD-ROM or CD-R drive and
even a hard drive as long as you don't want to boot off it as it doesn't
have a SCSI BIOS, and its a pity it doesn't have an external connector.

Peter