[plug] Problem with configuring network card

Systems Administrator sysadmin at kondinin.com.au
Sat Sep 26 14:58:39 WST 1998

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Caldera OpenLinux user, and I've got to the stage where I would like to add a NIC (SMC Ether EZ 10Mbps - 83c795 chipset) to my Linux box so that I might share files between it and my Win98 box.

I have been able to use the LISA (Linux Installation & System Admin) tools to add the NIC to my Linux box, and all has worked well. I have even configured it so that I can telnet and FTP from my Win98 box.

The problem is, that when I reboot my Linux box all the settings are lost. I have played around with this for two days, and I have made little progress. I have managed to do the following:

Filename ---- /etc/lilo.conf:
add to the bottom of the file:  append="ether=10,0x250,eth0"

Filename ---- /etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=apollo.kondinin.com.au
IF_LIST='lo eth tr sl ppp'
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
GATEWAYDEV=
GATEWAY=

Filename ---- /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
#!bin/sh
#>>> Device type: ethernet
#>>> Variable declarations:
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR: 192.168.2.2
NETMASK: 255.255.255.0
NETWORK: 192.168.2.0
BROADCAST: 192.168.2.255
GATEWAY: 192.168.2.1
ONBOOT=yes
#>>>End variable declarations
BOOTPROTO=none

Basically, when the Linux box boots, when it gets to the network part it says "No such device". I guess this is because eth0 has not been saved in a configuration file somewhere? That's what I thought the [append="ether=10,0x250,eth0"] line in the lilo.conf file did.

Anyway, I'm off to the Royal Show in a few minutes. Have a nice day.

--------------------------------
Paul Prout
Systems Administrator
Kondinin Group