[plug] 486's and RAM

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Apr 2 09:54:45 WST 1999

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Bret Busby wrote:

> Mike, I would appreciate knowing how you set the 486 up, to act with those
> roles. I was not aware of an answering machine program for Linux.

As Matt said, mgetty/vgetty.

My setup is command line driven.

e.g. come home, see AA light on modem, look in voice spool dir.,
"rmdplay va12244.rmd", delete file, delete flag file, reset modem.

You could easily add a gui. Seen any good ones Matt?

You can add scripts for multiple voicemail boxes, remote retrieval, etc.
It can user caller-ID to give a personalised greeting to the caller,
or just pick up calls from numbers you dont know.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A:      A canary with the super-user password.