[plug] Intercepting Default Beep

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Apr 7 16:44:06 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > I was thinking something more generic, so all apps that beep are
> > affected.
>
> What apps are there that beep, other than console ones?
>
> Maybe I'm running the wrong X clients but I don't know of any that beep
> the speaker.. those that make any sound at all use the soundcard.

Most X clients I know of do support sound, or WILL do.
Two examples:
  - kicq: It's still beta. At the moment it just beeps, not plays a
sound, although I've been told sound will be a later feature added.
  - kbiff: Has a "System Beep" option (as well as a Play Sound option).

I'm sure there are others. If I was trying to keep it simple in my X
app, I probably wouldn't want to start fiddling with sound, which starts
getting UNIX-Flavour specific.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :