[plug] X - when 'alt' stops working

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Fri Apr 9 16:35:32 WST 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mike Holland wrote:

> Is there some way to reset your X server?

Most window managers allow a "restart" (fvwm under debian at least gives
me 2 "quit" options - restart and quit)
This may or may not solve your problem.

> Sometimes the Alt key "stops working" - not sure which app is causing it.

Have you checked numlock/scroll lock aren't switched on?

Under my configuration of fvwm they interfere with the arrow keys, but
they may interfere with control & alt as well under another window
manager/different config.

Another thing you can try if keys appear "stuck" is press and release both
control keys, both alt keys, and both shift keys, in case the X server
missed the "release" keycode of one of those and thinks it's still down.

 - Matt