[plug] AAPT 'net access and Linux

Steve Gill steve at rumah.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 9 21:20:22 WST 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mike Holland wrote:

> At 2.5 c/min, the AAPT accounts looked like a good "second account",
> but their sales droids know nothing abouts windoze, let alone Linux.
>   However, once I got to speak to tech support, I was very impressed.
> These guys are at connect.com, which was bought by AAPT, and now sell
> services under both names.
>   The connect.net.au web site has info and sample scripts for Linux.

They didn't do much to help a luddite friend of mine who just wanted a
cheap way to check his share prices.  Seems his Compaq infernal (sic)
modem isn't entirely compatible with their 56k models.

After days of being kept waiting hours for calls back from tech support
with no progress I suggested he try Internet Primus (also 2.5c/min,
$1.50/hr.  Their Techo gave me the number for their 33k modems here in
Perth and all is sweet, as far as I have heard.

Primus don't even support Netscape, so we'd be on our own there with
Linux.

> There is no monthly fee, but the catch is you need to subscribe to AAPT
> for long distance calls. Even at peak times it is fast, but you might hit
> busy tones for a while.

Primus didn't require John to subscribe to their phone service.  They seem
to be marketing each seperately.

Cheers,
Steve