[plug] X - when 'alt' stops working

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Sat Apr 10 00:15:03 WST 1999

I had a sorta similar problem last night--I was running windowmaker, and did a cntrl-alt-F1 (or F2) and went to the other console.  When I tried to get back to windowmaker, with ctrl-alt-F2, it wasn't the gui, it was a console with all the X information on it, and I couldn't get back into the gui.  Had to cntrl-Z and kill it.

Then when I tried to startx again, the gui would come up but the mouse was dead.

Anyone ever have that happen?  I didn't know what to look for as far as a hung job ...finally I did a reboot (windows has me badly trained with regard to that :) )

Tamara

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> > Is there some way to reset your X server?
>
> Most window managers...

Its definitly the server.
e.g. Alt-modified controls stop working in the window manager.
    Alt-D in an xterm just gives 'd' instead of 'ä'
The key up/down events for the alt key still get to the server,
(i tried xev) but it stops modifying other keys.
  Some sort of key mapping problem i guess.

ciao,

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
I sometimes think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.
                -- Oscar Wilde