[plug] X - when 'alt' stops working

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sat Apr 10 10:15:08 WST 1999

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Damion Hill wrote:
> Tamara Thompson wrote:
> > I had a sorta similar problem last night--I was running windowmaker,
> > and did a cntrl-alt-F1 (or F2) and went to the other console.  When I
> > tried to get back to windowmaker, with ctrl-alt-F2, it wasn't the gui,
> > it was a console with all the X information on it, and I couldn't get
> > back into the gui.
>
> I use ctrl-Alt-F7 to return the GUI.
So do I, though Alt-F7 is enough.

> I suspect this is an X thing rather than a particular window manager.
Neither, it's a distro thing. As a rule, X pops up on the lowest available
virtual console. You and I have 6 gettys running on ttys 1 thru 6, so X
plonks itself on console #7, unless we tell it to do otherwise.
Tamara might have a different setup, but then again she might not.
Alt-Arrow will scroll between all of your VCs, so this is usually the best
way to find your X console when it's gone missing.

-Greg