[plug] apt-get *still* segfaulting

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Mon Apr 12 08:16:53 WST 1999

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Oliver White wrote:
> Ok, I have an updated version of apt-get - 0.3.4
> Note this is on a new installation of debian 2.1, not much messed with.
> Sometimes the application works, sometimes it segfaults during the
> 'Building dependancy tree' phase. Since this is a fairly persistant bug,
> is there somewhere I could report it?

At the risk of sounding like the Debian website's hired PR man.....
Follow the "Bug Tracking System" from www.debian.org
See, the names on the links _do_ make sense. :)

I'm not sure the description of how to submit a bug report makes sense,
though. Perhaps you want to install the package "bug" from section
"utils". (you can find it via the "Packages" link at www.debian.org, not
the "Search" link <giggle>)
It includes a little script that in theory will walk you through the bug
submission process. It may or may not be easier than the webpage.

Looking through the list of bugs reported in apt, a lot of people have
been able to make apt segfault by using a strange terminal type. (even
screen) Perhaps you should try just logging into bash from the text
console and see if the problem still happens.

-Greg Mildenhall