[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 16:53:24 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> Yep, sounds good. Remember that the record companies that oligopolise the
> market charge about $20 to do that copying, while it might cost them 5c -
> does that sound like a broken market in which consumers and artists are
> being exploited? It does to me.

Sure does to me too, but realistically, if you wanted to be a musician
as your primary source of income, one way is through publication, which
if no-one pays for it, won't help.

> I don't know how to structure payment for artists. A Free Music Bazaar
> isn't feasible, because music isn't made to spec, but there are numerous
> companies starting up on the premise of freely-distributable MP3s, and if
> even one of them comes up with a workable business model, I think
> copy-protected music is on it's last legs.

And that's part of the problem with Free things. If it's free, where
DOES the income come from? It would need some other form of revenue, and
it'll usually be a third party who'll have to do that.
It's an admirable goal, but changing a market is difficult. Linux is
getting there, and I sure hope it succeeds, but it's not always a
practical solution for the here and now.

> > There are some situations free is good and free is practical, but until
> > we reach a point where we don't have to work to get the basics in life
> > (and I'm not talking Dole Bludging), there's gonna be costs.
> I don't think you are listening to what I am saying. I have never
> suggested not remunerating creators of public goods, I have merely said
> that the present system of paying them is thoroughly inequitable.

I agree. My point is, given free information trade IS good, where,
realistically, does the money come from in TODAY's society?

> > (The musician goes down the Pub: I like your grog, here's some money. ^_^)
> Which pub does he go to? I'd like to meet him, 'cause his music is great!

It's in a remote town in Scotland. Time for some free air-fare?

> > . o O (But, Linux is damn good! And it's not Micro$oft! And it's free!)
> Exactly. Even forgetting it is free, linux is damn good for a whole lot of
> things. Just don't forget that being free is the _reason_ it is so good.

Is it? Sure, it's PART of the reason; linux is created by people because
they WANT to, not for Profit. That's part of the reason I work in a Uni;
what I do isn't to rake in the $$$, it's to help the education of the
students (indirectly). (Ok, so it's partly coz I like the more casual
work environment. ^_^)

The problem with working for money is your goal can change to GET more
money, and you lose that passion for doing your job. Like that article
someone posted about the Linux Guy who's now getting paid to do kernel
driver development. He was afraid it'd become the Money, more than the
Work.

> As for not being from Microsoft, I don't know if there's anything
> inherently wonderful about that - but it is often an indicator of quality.

Yep. The reason I don't like Micro$oft is that their products are very
functional, useful, yet often anal, and unstable, plus Xenophobic to
non-Micro$oft things.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :